Search continues after Russian strike kills 16 at Kryvyi Rih mall in Ukraine
Rescuers worked overnight at the destroyed shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih after a two-stage Russian drone attack on Friday. Local authorities said Sixteen people were killed, 130 were injured and nine remained unaccounted for.
Attack on the shopping centre
The strike hit a busy mall in the Dnipropetrovsk region and caused extensive damage that complicated the overnight recovery operation.
Two-wave assault
President Volodymyr Zelensky said the attack came in two waves, with the second drone aimed at emergency personnel who had reached the scene. Footage showed the second drone hitting the mall while it was already on fire.
Casualties and missing people
Regional military chief Oleksandr Hanzha said the toll rose to 16 after a further body was recovered overnight. Twenty-three children were among those hurt, while 29 people had previously been reported in serious condition.
Pressure on rescue operations
Emergency crews from four additional Ukrainian regions were sent to assist. Mayor Oleksandr Vilkul said the drones flew at extremely low altitudes and noted that some missing people were not answering calls.
Further overnight strikes
Deadly attacks continued in several parts of Ukraine after the mall strike.
Deaths in other regions
At least two people were reported killed in further strikes early on Saturday. A warehouse fire following a ballistic-missile alert killed one person in Kyiv, while a drone attack in Zaporizhzhia killed at least one man and injured four others.
Statements from both sides
Zelensky called the mall assault “cynical and despicable”. Moscow’s defence ministry said it had struck transport infrastructure and warehouses, while the Russian military did not comment on the mall attack.
Response and wider context
Official accounts underscored the human impact of the strike and placed it within a broader pattern of cross-border attacks.
Publicly reported reaction
Vilkul described the attackers as “animals”, while Zelensky highlighted the alleged targeting of first responders. No separate social-media reaction was detailed in the available information.
Assessment of the conflict
The reported developments point to the immediate rescue demands and the wider military context.
Emergency support
The deployment of teams from four regions reflected the scale of the operation at the damaged mall.
Condemnation of the strike
Ukrainian officials sharply condemned the two-wave attack and its reported effect on people responding to the first hit.
Continuing escalation
Earlier on Friday, Ukraine said it struck an oil refinery and a military airfield deep inside Russia. Kyiv says attacks on energy facilities and Wildberries warehouses are legitimate because they help fund the war.
Next stages of the response
The immediate focus remains on finding those still missing and treating the injured.
Ongoing recovery effort
Search teams were continuing through the wreckage, with nine people reportedly missing. The number of fatalities could rise because of the serious condition of 29 victims.
Developments to monitor
Officials may provide further casualty updates as work continues. The strikes follow attacks that killed four people, including three children, in Mykolaiv and two in Kharkiv on Friday, after 17 were killed in Kyiv on Thursday.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to common questions about the Russian strike on the Kryvyi Rih mall and the continuing search operation.
1. What started the search after the Russian strike on the Kryvyi Rih mall in Ukraine?
A two-stage Russian drone attack struck a busy shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih on Friday. The first strike caused extensive damage and fire, while a second drone reportedly hit as emergency personnel were responding, prompting an overnight search for victims and survivors.
2. Why is the Russian strike that killed 16 people at the Kryvyi Rih mall in Ukraine drawing attention?
The attack killed 16 people, injured 130 and left nine unaccounted for, according to local authorities. Twenty-three children were among those injured, and Ukrainian officials condemned the reported second strike on emergency responders.
3. What are the latest updates from the search at the Kryvyi Rih mall?
Rescuers continued working through the wreckage overnight after recovering another body. Emergency crews from four additional Ukrainian regions were sent to help, while nine people remained missing and 29 injured victims had previously been reported in serious condition.
4. What could happen next after the strike on the Kryvyi Rih mall?
Search teams are expected to continue looking for the missing and supporting the injured. Officials may issue further casualty updates, and the death toll could rise if people in serious condition do not recover. Further strikes remain part of the wider conflict context.
Based on reporting from the original report.